|Project information provided by host Party
Baseline Study (3409 KB)
Monitoring Plan (1209 KB)
Re-determination report (367 KB)
LoA from Romania (3022 KB)
Verification Report 2008-2011 (443 KB)
Verification Report 2012 (417 KB)
Project related text:
The project comprised the modernization of three out of six turbine units of the Romanian side of the Portile de Fier II hydropower plant. The aim oh the project is to increase the capacity of each unit from 175 MW to 194,5 MW by refurbishing the turbine, the generator and the electrical excitation system. The operating period of the hydro units will be extended with 30 years. Portile de Fier II is the largest hydropower dam in Romania. It is currently being renovated to extend its technical lifetime and to displace fossil fuel electricity, which has a significant positive environmental impact, in particular regarding the emission of SO2. The emissions reduction is done by replacement of electricity coming from the Romanian grid.
The project consists of the following activities:
- Refurbishment of the turbines and of the control system;
- Rehabilitation of generators by repairing and replacing parts;
- Improvement of the air cooling system by new coolers and an additional electric breaking system;
- Replacing the existing warning and fire extinguishing systems by a water spray system in line with European standards;
- Replacing static excitation systems both for main and auxiliary generators;
- Complete replacement of automation, electric protections and a 0,4 kV distributor.